Wednesday, August 11, 2010

CHANNING CROWDER SAYS THE DARNDEST THINGS

Miami Dolphins Linebacker Channing Crowder has made a name for himself off the field with his often hilarious quotes and statements about other players, teams, and even countries.
A couple of months ago, legendary Miami Dolphins Defensive Lineman Jason Taylor (for years has been a fan favorite and probably the best player the Dolphins have had since Dan Marino retired) shocked the world when he decided to sign with the hated New York Jets instead of re-signing with the Dolphins (this left a very sour taste in the mouth of Dolphins fans and players) Over the last few seasons, Taylor has hinted that he would like to have a career in acting when he's done playing football (and he has appeared on Dancing With The Stars, among a few other things). The Jets are the focus of HBO's "Hard Knocks" series this year, which is a reality show that follows one NFL team from the beginning of training camp through the beginning of the regular season. The show debuts tonight on HBO, and Channing Crowder had some really fun words for Jason Taylor:

"I just want to see JT [Jason Taylor] and laugh at him," Crowder said, via the Palm Beach Post. "I talked to him the other night and I was making fun of him, so I just want to see him out there embarrass himself. He's a real pretty boy. He had makeup with Dancing with the Stars and all that, so he might put on makeup," Crowder said. "He's gonna perform. Trust me. You can mark that. JT is not going to be himself. He's gonna perform for the cameras, 'cause he's a showman. That's what I give him a hard time about -- he's going to be as clean as he can, he's gonna have a freshly-shaved head, 'cause the camera is around and he's very womanly."

When asked about the makeup running when Taylor started to sweat during camp, Crowder added:

"What is it, Vidal Sassoon or something? What's the good stay-strong stuff you could wear? Loreal? He'll have on non-run Loreal."

This is certainly not the first time that Crowder has been outspoken.

Last season, he got into a fairly hilarious war of words with 1st year Jets coach Rex Ryan. Ryan stated in a press conference that he wasn't afraid of any of the teams in the AFC East and he thought his Jets team was the best. Crowder's response?

"Oh he's going crazy. He's going absolutely nuts," Crowder said. "I know it's his first chance to be a head coach, and I know he's excited about life. But I've never played a football game in June in my life. So congratulations to him. He's the OTA Super Bowl winner."

Thankfully, Ryan responded by saying "I don’t know this Channing Crowder. All I know is that he’s all tatted up, so I guess I ought to be nervous about him. If I was younger, I’d probably handle him myself."

Then the floodgates opened. Crowder responded:

"Oh, Lord have mercy, what's wrong with him? Now he's talking about preparation? We play them twice this year. If he wants to be prepared, shouldn't he know the starting middle linebackers of his division rival? He says he'd take care of me if he was younger? I'd have beat the hell out of that big old joker. Or if he really wants to get retro, my daddy or my uncle could have handled him. Don't get big. Win with preparation? Start watching some tape and learn who your rival is. Come on now."

The war of words went back and forth a little longer and then died out. The winner? Well, the Dolphins beat the Jets both times that they played last year, so you tell me.

My all-time favorite Channing Crowder moment came in 2007 when the Dolphins were about to travel to London, England to play the New Yorks Giants. In an interview, Crowder hilariously mused about the trip:

“I couldn’t find London on a map if they didn’t have the names of the countries I swear to God. I don’t know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that. I know [Washington Redskins linebacker] London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That’s the closest thing I know to London. He’s black, so I’m sure he’s not from London. I’m sure that’s a coincidental name.”

The best part? Crowder is actually quite intelligent, he just happens to have a good sense of humor. Fans and media outlets went nuts about his "stupidity," nicely playing right into his hands.

Hopefully Crowder will keep 'em comin' on and off the field this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment